By Rayan El Zein, LSA Junior at the University of Michigan
Tall frontal arches fronted its pedestrian passers. Paralleled windows scattered its outer brick walls. Edged balconies limb-ed out of its core. Yes. It was a sight for sore eyes. Near the sea, on Yarkon Street, there stood a hefty Palestinian Tel-Aviv building known as the “RED” house.
During sunset, among Tel-Aviv locals, the house was known to acquire a reddish pink tinge, hence the name. In the 1920s, the RED house served as a head office for local Jewish builders and craftsmen. It was definitely not your typical maze of office cubicles. It’s productive purpose didn’t last for much longer however. As the end of the year 1947 came along, the pinkish reddish tinge slow but gradually transformed into a cold-blooded terracotta.
On March 10, 1948, the RED house was suddenly out of service. On that cold Wednesday afternoon, eleven members of the Zionist underground militia, Hagana, called in an emergency meeting. Some were veteran Zionist leaders while others were militia Jewish soldiers, however, all were noble ethnic cleansers. With much deliberation, together the Hagan members gracefully scribed a document titled Plan Dalet, also referred to as Plan D. Basically, this document could not have stood ground among such eleven minds without this complex, obscure, and elaborate purpose; the Palestinians had to go. The objectives were simple and straight to the point: implement a large-scale intimidation scheme, bombard and lay siege to villages, set anything that looks like a house on fire, plant mines wherever it’s possible for a Palestinian to exist, and last but not least, expel all Palestinians. And they meant it. No Palestinian Left Behind. None. Continue reading